Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Okefenokee Restaurant, Folkston, GA

LOOKIN' FOR HOME COOKIN'?

by Ellen "EJ" Sackett

On the way to the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia, my husband and I had a hankering for some southern cuisine. It was lunchtime on Saturday, and as we drove through Folkston, we spied a restaurant with a parking lot crammed full. "Either this restaurant is the best in town, or it's the only one in town!" I said. We took our chances and stopped at the aptly named Okefenokee Restaurant.

We weren't disappointed. Here we found plenty of friendly folks and good eats. We chose the buffet ($7.50) over the menu and chowed down on melt-in-your-mouth breaded porkchops, killer fried chicken, traditional biscuits and cornbread, savory stewed tomatoes, brown-sugar sweet potatoes and perhaps the best coleslaw I've ever had. That's not all the Okeenokee Restaurant offered up, just what I could fit inside my right leg. And I made sure to pick up the last two jars of pumpkin butter on the way out.

$

Okefenokee Restaurant, 103 S. 2nd Street, Folkston, GA (912) 496-3263
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Okefenokee Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your comment here.